HUD’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program subsidizes rent for low-income households. Choice comes into play because the subsidy allows renters to locate private landlords willing to accept Section 8 tenants anywhere in a city. The subsidy payment covers the amount of a family’s market-rate rent that exceeds 30 to 40 percent of their combined household income. You follow the same general process to apply for Section 8 housing in Leland, Mississippi, as you do elsewhere across the nation.
1. Refer to HUD’s latest income limits for Washington County, Mississippi. Leland is located in Washington County. You can find HUD’s income limits at the agency’s Data Sets website. HUD restricts access to Section 8 benefits to families with incomes at or below 50 percent of their area’s median income. As of 2010, 50 percent of Washington County’s median equals $23,850 for a family of five.
2. Go to the Leland office of the South Delta Regional Housing Authority at 202 Weston Avenue in Leland, Mississippi. The South Delta Regional Housing Authority administers the Section 8 program in Washington as well as Bolivar, Humphreys, Sunflower, Issaquena and Sharkey counties.
3. Ask to fill out an application for Section 8 housing. If the South Delta Regional Housing Authority is using a waiting list because of excess demand for Section 8 assistance, the application merely gets you a spot on the list. It does not guarantee housing.
4. Schedule an eligibility interview. If the housing authority is not using a waiting list and you have all of your paperwork handy, you might be able to have this interview on the spot. If not, prepare and set up a time. At this meeting, you will verify the information you put on your application. For example, you’ll need birth certificates or Social Security numbers to verify household composition; paycheck stubs, tax returns and bank account information to document income and assets; and contact information for your current and past landlords. You’ll also need to submit to a criminal background screening.
5. Accept your Section 8 voucher after the South Delta Regional Housing Authority approves your application. Begin your search for Section 8 rentals.