Instead of eating hard, dried-out bread from the grocery store, enjoy an old-fashioned bread with delicious sunflower seeds that you can make home. Making homemade bread does take more time than picking it up at the store, but the benefits far outweigh the time it takes. Homemade bread tastes better and costs less than store-made, plus it has no preservatives or chemicals, making it all-around better for you. Add this to my Recipe Box.
1. Pour the flour and dry yeast into a large bowl and stir until the ingredients are combined. Place the milk, sugar, butter and salt into a small pot. Heat on medium-low until warm.
2. Pour the liquid mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour and yeast. Add the egg and the orange juice to the mixture. Beat on low speed using an electric mixer until just combined and then turn the mixer up to high speed and beat for an additional three minutes. Add the orange peel and sunflower seeds and combine using a wooden spoon or your hands.
3. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead using your hands until the dough is smooth. Shape the dough into a ball and place it into a greased bowl. Cover and allow it to rise for one to two hours.
4. Punch down the dough, replace the cover and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Grease the inside of a bread loaf pan with cooking spray or shortening and flour.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a loaf. Place the shaped dough into a prepared pan and allow it to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the dough with melted butter and place it into the oven to bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the bread to cool on a wire rack before serving.